CSS PROFILE and FAFSA
Parents and Student:
Starting October 1st you can begin your official financial aid paperwork for college. You begin with filling out the CSS PROFILE or college specific financial aid paper work and then after January 1st you fill out the FAFSA.
What is the CSS PROFILE?
The CSS PROFILE is a financial aid application that more than 600 colleges, universities and scholarship programs use. The information collected on the PROFILE serves to determine eligibility for non-federal student aid funds.
- Many colleges will not give you financial aid without filling out the PROFILE
- Some college and universities do not use the PROFILE, however you will need to fill out financial aid paperwork specific to their college.
What is FAFSA? The Free Application for Federal Student Aid
The FAFSA is used to apply for federal student aid such as grants, work-study, and loans. You may also use the FAFSA to apply for most state and some private aid. Everyone should fill out the FAFSA even if you have doubts. Some schools require the FAFSA to be filled out for financial packages, grants, etc. You don't want to miss out on any school aid opportunities.
You are encouraged to fill out the FAFSA as soon as possible after January 1st. To apply for FAFSA you can...
- Apply online at www.fafsa.ed.gov/
- To download and complete a PDF version of FAFSA, scroll down and click FAFSA filing options. www.federalstudentaid.ed.gov (note: PDF FAFSA's must be mailed for processing)
- Request a paper FAFSA by calling the Federal Student Aid Information Center at 1-800-4-FED-AID
FAFSA Federal Deadline: June 30th, 2016
Pennsylviana: May 1, 2015
Delaware: April 15, 2015
Maryland: March 1, 2015
Note: PA grants have their own deadlines
**If you have any questions feel free to call the Guidance Office!